I’ve been pretty busy with Satellite Repairman, posting occasional tweets and devlog posts, but no posts in here 🙁 So this post is a summarized version of what’s been happening, the current status and where the game is going in the next few months until the release in February 2017.
One of the reasons I was so busy and a bit under pressure was because I wanted to launch the Greenlight Campaign as soon as possible (considering that you never know how long it takes to get the game approved). And launching it means I needed a lot of assets and gameplay ready to record in a video!
Anyway, managed to do that successful so before the rest of the post, here is the official Greenlight Video:
And the official Greenlight page is at: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796135160
I also decided to launch an official website for the game at http://www.satelliterepairman.com/ which has some more screenshots and game info. Will update it soon with more public(non-dev) news.
So, during this time I made added some more gameplay ideas, to include a tiny little bit of base-building into the game. The ground buildings are:
- Factory (to produce new satellites and satellite modules)
- Research Center (to develop new tech)
- Farm (to get food)
- Comm Tower
- Missile Defense
- Construction Yard (to make new buildings)
Using the new Construction Yard (only added it 1week before greenlight was launched), you can order new buildings and then place them around the planet. These building types are limited, so you can’t make new HQs, Research Centers or Construction Yards. Which means you only have 1 of each of these types, and you should protect them most.
The enemy attacks also come in 3 different kinds:
- missiles (explode on impact)
- death missiles (more lethal than the regular ones)
- cluster bombs – these explode in the atmosphere creating 6 smaller bombs which will spread out in different directions, causing a bigger number of explosions but of smaller intensity than the missiles.
The EMP defense (on satellites) is one of the two viable ways of defending your planet. EMP disables all kinds of missiles or bombs, making them drop dead on the ground causing only a minor explosion with little damage. The other way is, of course, by intercepting missiles with your own missile defenses.
I’m now working on adding a popular request: different planets. So besides the normal earth-like planet, there will also be 2 other planet types, a moon-type and a mars-type. The atmosphere will be different and so will the gravity conditions. I’m still considering adding other elements of differentiation like solar-flares or something like that.
This will allow for more challenging levels.
To conclude, the gameplay modes that will be available are:
- Mission Scenarios – the main mode. Missions will unlock one after the other
- Endless Survival – Test your strategy and repairman skills by attempting to survive endless attack waves
- Sandbox – A creative mode where you can set up your own challenges, difficulty and game parameters
I’m always interested in hearing other people’s views and ideas for the game, so if there’s something you’d really like to see, email/tweet/or comment 🙂
thanks for reading!!